An achievement is a goal or set of goals which encourage a certain style of play or a specific character arc, usually tangential to any of the main quests or story-lines. Completing those goals gives your character a small but permanent boon, usually about the strength of a trait (or, in other terms, half a feat.) Each character can be working on a single achievement, which they must track on their own somewhere on their Obsidian Portal character sheet. They may switch achievements at any time, but if they do so they lose all of their progress on that achievement. In general, achievements are most effective when they are tailored to a specific character, but here are a few examples of achievements that a character could take:
Your character is learning to be more careful in combat, either because they are trying to overcome a lack of restraint or because they are naturally a defensive fighter.
Goals: Complete three of the following four objectives.
- Fight defensively as a standard action 15 times.
- Fight defensively as a full-round action 10 times.
- Use the Combat Expertise feat 10 times.
- Use the total defense action 5 times.
Boon: Whenever you fight defensively, use combat expertise, or take the total defense action the AC bonus from those actions is increased by 1.
Your character is less interested in conquering the mightiest monsters of the DungeonScape and more interested in learning the lore contained within.
Goals: Successfully use 10 knowledge checks inside of the DungeonScape. In addition, you must complete three of the following five objectives.
- Identify 5 potions
- Identify 5 scrolls
- Identify 1 magic weapon
- Identify 1 magic shield or piece of armor
- Identify 1 wand, rod, staff, ring or wondrous item.
Boon: An additional 3 skill ranks, which can be put into spellcraft, use magic device, linguistics or any knowledge skill.
Your character strives to control the battlefield, rather than be controlled by it.
Goals: Complete six of the following eleven objectives.
- Successfully bull rush an opponent 5 times
- Successfully disarm an opponent 5 times
- Successfully grapple an opponent 5 times
- Successfully overrun an opponent 5 times
- Break or destroy 5 weapons with a sunder attempt.
- Successfully trip an opponent 5 times.
- Successfully feint against an opponent 5 times.
- Successfully use a dirty trick against an opponent 5 times. (APG)
- Successfully drag an opponent 5 times. (APG)
- Successfully reposition an opponent 5 times. (APG)
- successfully steal from an opponent 5 times. (APG)
Boon: You get a permanent +1 bonus to your CMB.
Your character has come to Sanctuary for one purpose: To hunt the living dead.
Goal: Complete 3 of the following 4 objectives.
- Land the killing blow on 50 undead creatures.
- Land the killing blow on 15 undead creatures using a positive energy attack.
- Land the killing blow on 15 undead creatures using a physical weapon which overcomes their damage reduction or regeneration.
- Land the killing blow on 5 intelligent undead creatures.
Boon: You get a permanent +1 bonus to attack and damage versus undead creatures.
Keeping in the shadows makes taking enemies unaware easier.
Prequisites: Able to Cast Touch Spells
Goal: Complete 3 of the following 3 objectives.
- Successfully hit an unaware enemy with a touch spell 0/25
- Successfully land a killing blow on an unaware enemy with a touch spell 0/15
- Successfully critically hit an unaware enemy with a touch spell 0/10
Boon: You get a permanent +1 bonus to touch attacks against unaware enemies.